Author Topic: Any PPA runners planning to run back down too?  (Read 443 times)

goatleg

Any PPA runners planning to run back down too?
« on: August 18, 2019, 09:59:30 PM »
I'm playing it by ear, but hoping to run down as well. Will make the call at the top. Curious, do any other PPA runners do that as well, or do they all just sign up for the marathon?
I love trail running, but am not much of a competitive racer, so I'm just in it for the experience.

Jasper

Re: Any PPA runners planning to run back down too?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 04:49:44 PM »
Well, nobody's touching this one... but I have an opinion. Smile.
If the weather is good enough for you to wait for everyone to finish and then head back down, sure.

With 1943 entries total, 'going back down' could be a huge disservice to those trying to finish, maybe get a PR, or make the cutoffs and get a coveted Finisher's shirt, that you might impede, who are in the last, hardest miles, near the top, still coming up, while you've already finished and ease back down. Surely you would not want bunches of folks casually heading back down while you're coming up. And I believe that's why I have NEVER seen anyone do it, in 13 Ascents (which is not that many comparatively).

But if you plan to wait until after... then hey, have some fun... if the weather cooperates. And on any single given day, it might, or it might not.

Mtn there always, with no race up it every other day but 3 all year, might be better to come back any other weekend, especially on a day you can PICK based on forecasted Sunny all day, and do the up and down, and just try to get the best Ascent you can on Saturday, and hit the Vans before the Weather unleashes (if in fact that's what the weather does).

But if you wait until folks aren't coming up any more, and the Weather is still good, then sure. And enjoy it!

Good Luck.
Jasper

goatleg

Re: Any PPA runners planning to run back down too?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 10:56:07 AM »
Jasper, thanks for your insight. My first PPA or time on the Barr trail, so appreciate the note. I certainly didn't want to or plan to get in anyone's way, regardless. It hadn't occurred to me that runners ("racers" in this case) might feel like the PPA participants have the mountain / trail exclusively reserved for the day and don't expect any courteous downhill traffic at all. Whether that's an accurate reflection of the rights of PPA participants or not, you bring up a great point: It's an assumption and an attitude I should take into consideration. I'm not here to piss anyone off.